Monday, January 26, 2009

"Do something new for me today"

That's what Micah told me at the end of the last message I got from him. I can't explain what a comfort it is to come online to those messages, or any messages really. It's a little piece of home and love, and it warms me up even when my feet are soaked through, and there's a chill deep in my bones.

This weekend was Roma. Quando a Roma. When in Rome.
When in Rome...take pictures of a fountain that you think is the Trevi Fountain...but is not. (Epic Fail #1). Then find the real Trevi Fountain and resume photoshoot.
When in Rome don't go out to la discoteca, instead get drunk in your hotel room with your new friends (and old friend), and 'bond' in a very different sense of the word.
When in Rome go on the last Sunday of the month because you get in free to the Sistine Chapel. But maybe consider that since it's FREE, a lot of people may be waiting in line to go in.
When in Rome budget budget budget.
When in Rome, get giddy on the train, talk about everything, talk about new experiences, talk about old experiences, talk about how thankful you are for your roommates, talk talk talk talk. And ultimately, you will learn.
When in Rome, don't get gelato by the Trevi Fountain. It's fake gelato.
When in Rome, go to the Colosseum and act like a 7 year old again, climbing and exploring and giggling.
When in Rome, cherish the moments when the sun is on your face, on your back, when your feet are warm, and your arm is intertwined with your new friends.
When in Rome, don't eat the expensive food from the sketchy menu - they microwaved it.
When in Rome, steal food from the Continental Breakfast in your hotel to snack on during the day.
When in Rome mock MTV. xxcorexx

"Do something new for me today". I am always doing something new, as it turns out. Walking by myself is one of my favorite things, as it is a comfort back in America as well. But here, like everything else, it feels new. It calms me down, when my music is turned up and I can just watch. Watch other people interact, watch little kids wobble around, watch the market vendors squabble and laugh with their customers. Watch sleek, chic Italians enjoy espresso and una dolce.

I cook, and I love it. I love my small apartment, with it's terraces. I love my roommates with their quirks and different personalities. I love finding my way.

Tonight during my Area Studies lecture, listening to my teacher talk, as the guitarist strummed away, it felt epic. And not an Epic Fail. Just epic. I'm learning, and loving learning, and loving learning about the place I am experiencing.

So here's a lot of love, because that's all I'm feeling lately.

6 comments:

  1. i love this post :) and you are cooking in the kitchen right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why is it that you have to travel to the other side of the world from me to start cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm feeling love for you.
    don't get me started on my feelings about gelato.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i miss you! these blogs are great to keep us all updated, along with letting me live through you! assignment for you and jen tonight: go out, drink a bottle of wine, and cheers me along with your lovelies at home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. annd that was kristin... i don't know how to work this thing so somehow my live journal connected me to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. don't you dare get better at cooking than me.

    ReplyDelete